The visual editor allows you to easily create, edit, and format your content in a view similar to that of a word processor.
This is the default editing mode, but if it does not appear to be enabled, you can select the Visual tab in the top right corner of the editor area, as shown below.
There are two (2) rows of editing icons contained within the visual editor. You can find out what any icon means or does by hovering over it with your mouse – a small tooltip will appear describing the icon and its purpose.
When initially opened, the visual editor will display a single row of icons:
- Unordered list (bullet points):
- Item 1
- Item 2
- Ordered list
- Item 1
- Item 2
- Blockquote (a way of displaying quoted text; each theme will style this differently.)
This is an example of a Blockquote.
- Align Left
- Align Center
- Align Right
- Insert/edit link
- Insert More tag
- Proofread/Spell Check
- Toggle fullscreen mode
- Show/Hide Kitchen sink (enables the second row of editing icons:
To display the second row of icons, select the kitchen sink icon (last button on the first row)
- Style – various formatting styles for text. Heading 2 and Heading 3 are useful for headings within a page.
- Align full (justified)
- Select text color – change the text color (not recommended)
- Paste as Plain Text
- Paste from Word
- Remove formatting (alignment, color, bold, italics)
- Insert custom character
- Outdent – move text further left
- Indent – move text further right
- Undo – undo your last action
- Redo – redo your last action
- Help – display some information about using the editor, as well as keyboard shortcuts.
New Line Without Space Above (Single Space)
Hitting the Enter (Return) key will end the paragraph you are writing and start a new one. If you want to start a new line without creating a new paragraph, press the Shift key while hitting Enter.